To the north east of Palazzo, on one of the hills around Assisi that goes down to the Chiascio River, stands the Castle of Sterpeto.
The fort has two entry gates. The oldest one, with a round arch, surmounted by a small tower, leads inside the town. The second larger one, with an arch outlined by sandstone elements, leads into the stately residential area.
The origin of the name reveals the presence of “twigs”, but the place had to certainly be pleasant and safe, placed on top of the hill from which it dominated the medieval valley, at that time marshy and unhealthy. This particular configuration made it the most populous area of all the Assisano since the late medieval period. Thus, in 1232, the castle would become the “noble” residence of the Fiumi family, quite distinct from the “village” where the other households lived.