web-chiesa-castelnuovoThe village is located along the road between the ancient Roman cities “Asisium” and “Urvinum Hortense”. That is the reason why Roman settlements such as “the Tomb” (mausoleum), gravestones and a memorial stone can be seen.

A parchment found in the Abbey of Santa Croce of Sassovivo testifies that the ground on which stands Castelnuovo belonged to the Lombards.

A document from 1179 reads the first attestation of the word “Castronovo” (new castle): it is a lowland castle that was used as a defense of the boundaries of Assisi.