The Diocesan Museum of Assisi is housed since 2006 in the Palace of the Canons in front of the Cathedral of San Rufino. In the atmospheric basement of the palace it is worth visiting the remains of a Romanesque cloister and the crypt of the “Basilica ugoniana” (XI century), decorated with rare contemporary frescoes and a Roman sarcophagus with the myth of Selene and Endymion which holds the coffin of the saint patron Rufino. The collection includes a large lapidary found in the excavations of the Romanesque cathedral and a group of frescoes and paintings on wood of the XIII-XVII centuries. Also frescoes and processional banners from brotherhoods of Assisi, and an important collection of “Primitive” Siena donated by US historian Frederick Mason Perkins († 1955).
Palazzo dei Canonici
Piazza San Rufino, 3 – Tel. / Fax 075 812 712
www.assisimuseodiocesano.it – email@example.com
From 16 March to 15 October: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm / 3:00 pm to 6:00 p.m.
Holidays, pre-holidays and August: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
From 16 October to 15 March: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm / 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm
Christmas time: 10:00 am to 5:30 pm
Admission is allowed up to 30 min. before closing
Closed: Wednesday, December 25, January 1
Full Price: Euro 3,50
Reduced Price A: Euro 2.50 supplement for groups up to 10, seniors over 60; individuals aged 14 to 18 years; university students, visitors from another Museum bearing MEU tickets; resident in the Diocese of Assisi – Nocera U. – Gualdo T .; teachers, soldiers and police on duty; care-giverr of disabled person.
Reduced Breakfast: Euro 1,50 Groups over 25 people; children aged 8 to 13 years.
Reduced Price C: Euro 2,00 Groups over 25 people with a guided tour by appointment
Free for children up to 7 years; journalists; authorized tourist guides; of group leaders; teachers with pupils; handicapped.