Born as the ancient hospital of the town of Assisi, one of the earliest throughout Italy, the Palazzo del Monte Frumentario was built in 1267 outside the first roman city walls, and on the downhill side of the road that still leads to the Basilica of St. Francis. The entrance of the structure of three floors, overlooks via Fontebella, vicolo degli Esposti and via San Francesco, is introduced by a portico of seven segmental arches, supported by small columns with Byzantine capitals sculpted by venetians stone cutters. The façade of the entrance is decorated with frescoes painted by an Umbrian ardent follower of Giotto (1300 c), which further beyond leads to a huge room decorated with Neo-gothic frescoes and illuminated by a large window overlooking the valley. The title of Monte Frumentario dates back to 1746, when the bishop Ottavio Ringhieri moved the headquarters of Monte Frumentario Barberini, pious institution founded in 1634 by Cardinal Antonio Barberini. Contrary to what took place at Monti di Pietà, at Monte Frumentario loans of wheat and other products of the earth were made. After various destinations of use, always concerning however, activities related to cultural activities and entertainment, from 2010, following an extremely important restoration, the building is used for exhibition venues among the most expressive in Umbria.
Via San Francesco
Info: Cultural Office – Città di Assisi /Tel. 075 8138641 /firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrimony Office – Città di Assisi /Tel. 075 8138446 /email@example.com
Granted for exhibitions, shows, congresses, conventions, meetings, cultural, social and recreative activities, and institutional politcal activities.
Floor Via San Francesco: 502 sqm
Floor Vicolo degli Esposti: 635 sqm
Floor Via Fontebella: 596 sqm