Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo
The building on the corner along the side of the square is the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo. In 1275 the city bought several houses next to the Torre del Popolo, to build new judiciary headquarters for the Captain. In 1282 construction was completed and Captain Guido de’ Rossi from Florence had them mason in their coat of arms between two shields with the cross, symbol of the city. In 1926 the palace was underwent a major neo 14th century restoration by the architect Roger Antonelli (Perugia 1888-1974). The ground floor rooms are decorated with paintings by Adalberto Migliorati (Rome 1902 – Perugia 1953) with representations of medieval crafts.
Torre del Popolo
Beside the Temple of Minerva is the tall Torre del Popolo (47 m). The tower was built for the judiciary of the Capitano del Popolo, which is news to Assisi in 1267. The tower was partially completed in 1274, in which it is noticeable the silhouette of the bell, and hosted the family of the Captain, resulting in 1279. An inscription placed at the base of the tower says that the construction was completed in 1305, at the time of the Captain Cabrino from Parma. On the occasion of the 600th anniversary St Francis’ death of (1926) the tower was completed by crowning the top with Ghibelline swallow-tailed merlins.
Torre del Popolo – Stone Plaque with common forms and measurements
In 1349 the Captain of the People Angelo Latero from Perugia, ordered to make, at the base of the tower a stone plaque using the typical red stone of Mt. Subasio, with the actual dimensions and thickness of the bricks made in Assisi – bricks , tiles , tiles and roof tiles – plus three iron rods with the length of the rod, the passageway and the palm, followed by the woolen cloth, silk and linen. The Municipal Statute of 1469 prescribed the use of these models applied to the base of the tower, as well as regulating the times and places in which professions and trades in the sale of goods, by reason of odors and noise.
Torre del Popolo – Portal
In 1501 the premises on the ground floor of the Torre del Popolo were ceded to the notaries for assigning the Audience Hall. In 1524 the stonecutter Massimo di Puzio sculpted the stone portal, based on the design of the painter Cecco di Bernardino (Assisi doc. 1511-1547). On the key of the arc is a shield in stone with work tools of notaries: book, pen and ink fountain. On the architrave is carved the motto of art: ‘Single mundi told Fides’. The coat of arms and the initials are visible on the right jamb are those of the notary Francesco Bovi. In 1531 the master carpenter Paolo di Jacopo da Gubbio executed the door imitation of the Collegio del Cambio di Perugia.
Torre del Popolo – Sala dell’Udienza
In the second decade of the 16th century the ground floor hall of the tower was decorated for the Art of Notaries with a backcourt, adorned by candelabras and inlaid with ancient letters and figures, according to the model presented on November 7th, 1515 by Lorenzo di Paolo, Florentine master carpenter, resident in Assisi. The wooden furniture has been lost. Instead, a fresco dating back to the final decades of the XVI century, depicting the Assumption into heaven of the Virgin to the presence of the Patron Saints has been preserved. John the Evangelist and Rufino, Clare and Francis. From here you have access to a courtyard which leads to the back of the Temple of Minerva.